Jaw Scan – Sitting
This practice is to give you the opportunity to just assess the difference a clenched or soft jaw makes to your whole body when you are sitting down!
1. Sit on a chair with feet hip-width apart, flat on the floor, knees at a 90-degree angle or more
2. Take a few normal breaths
3. Begin relaxing your jaw, breath in and out allowing your ribcage to rise, and settle
4. Feel into your ribcage and chest, and how the mobility feels with your jaw relaxed and breathing through it
5. Feel into your pelvis, allowing it to anteriorly tilt on the chair while you breathe in and posterior tilt as you breathe out
6. Feel if you have a connection with your feet
7. Now try to do all of the above movements, but with a clenched, tight, shut mouth. What is the difference?
8. Can you feel the tension in your jaw restricting movement in your muscles and joints?